A little about me


I love talking about a good book, but many of my favorite friends are far away. So let's talk about books here on the "Reading Along..." blog. Please be sure to post your comments here of what you are learning from our book.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Christmas is Not Your Birthday - Let's get to know each other.

I decided that if we're really going to be a group, then it would be fun to know a little bit about each other. I have the benefit of knowing the three people who have posted that they are joining the class.  But then I realized that you all don't know each other, or at least I don't think you do.

Here's a little about me: Air Force wife for almost 19 years, live at Fairchild AFB, WA since 2012, (11th move), United Methodist minister, I don't work outside the home, except for the 7 volunteer jobs that I am currently filling.
Love teaching and water aerobics and baking pies.

How about you - What's your story?  Come on, introduce yourselves.

Feel free to post in the comment section.

PS - here's some questions to think about as we prepare to read Chapter 1.

1. Think about your family’s Christmas traditions as you grew up. What were the most unique traditions you practiced? How many of them focused on your own comfort and pleasure, and which were sacrificial in nature?

2. Think of one of the best Christmas gifts you've ever given to someone. What made it the best, and how long do you think they appreciated it?

3. Name some ways you think Christmas has been hijacked. How have you allowed Christmas to become more about you and/or consumerism than about Jesus?

4. Do you typically use cash only for Christmas, or do you go into at least a little debt? How can you make this year a cash-only Christmas?

5. What are some things you currently enjoy or love about the holiday season? What don’t you like? Is there a common theme between what you like and don’t like?

6. What new tradition(s) can you plan that would focus more on Jesus’ presence than presents?

Questions taken from Living and Giving Like Jesus from Ginghamsburg Church, Tipp City, OH, www.ginghamsburg.org

2 comments:

  1. My name is Bobbie Mach... I am also an air force wife we are currently stationed in New Jersey. I am a stay at home mom at the moment to an amazing 9 y/o girl and 6 y/o boy. My family is my everything, but I do have a few hobbies. I have always been an athlete and my current athletic passion is racing road bikes which keeps me very busy in my spare moments when I am not playing taxi, mommy or wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy Bishop here in Valrico, FL - just outside of Tampa. I have two incredible daughters - 27 and 32, have been married to David for 37 years. I am enjoying the first year of retirement after working since the age of 14 - Christmas wrapper, sales clerk, organist for a funeral home/church, waitress (that didn't last very long at all), tutor, teacher/educator for 36 years and business owner. Now - I am a full-time KaKa aka grandmother, wife/admin. asst to David, and caregiver to my 91 year old mother. The caregiver role keeps me on the road and in the air between Tampa and SC every couple of weeks. I have an incredible group of diverse friends that have been meeting weekly at my house for almost 9 years. We share life, Bible study, pray together, road trip together - Beth Moore in San Antonio, Jacksonville and Charleston. The Charleston road trip lasted a week!!!! I met "Rev Deb" 24 years ago at a church picnic to welcome her to Summerville, SC. There was an instant connection and she became one of our family. Even tho we don't see each other very often, that love and connection remains. I am so thankful for this study at this time. Advent is such an important season for me - a season to prepare. I need that time this year. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete