A little about me


I love talking about a good book, but many of my favorite friends are far away. So let's talk about books here on the "Reading Along..." blog. Please be sure to post your comments here of what you are learning from our book.

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Digger Deeper - What I'm reading these days

 My friend, Rick and I have a book club of two. We meet every Thursday, most often in our virtual classroom, and share our highlights for the week's reading. We always close after an hour and a half, often with many things left unshared and unsaid, but always with an abundance of thankfulness for the things we have learned and the time spent together.

This is not reading for the faint of heart. Rick is a long-time leader of bible studies, often writng his own curriculum based on copious amounts of reading and study. We read a chapter a week of whatever book we are sharing. We dig deep into the text, look for the biblical imperitives it calls to mind, and seek examples in our own lives and in the comings and goings of the world around us. It is a sacred time.

We often choose our authors after we started listening to the podcast, "The Bible For Normal People," hosted by Peter Enns and Jared Byas, both with PhD's in biblical studies. It's taken us places we never would have gone on our own because these were people we had never heard of before. And it's amazing!

In May, I wrote a blog about our Easter reading - Surprized by Hope: Retrhinking the Resurrection, Heaven and the Mission of the Church (read it here). And I revived this blog earlier in the summer with a book about racism written by a descentant of Robert E. Lee. I'm hoping that if I keep track of our reading here, I can write more summary posts which will encourage you to dig a little deeper as you seek to broaden your faith perspective.


Future posts I hope to publish:

Grounded by Diana Butler Bass

God Can't by Thomas Jay Oord

Learning to Speak God from Scratch by Jonathan Merritt

The Color of Compromise by Jemar Tisby

Reading the Bible From the Margins by Miguel de la Torre

Coming Up:

Short Stories by Jesus by Amy-Jill Levine

Universal Christ by Richard Rohr


Peace, 

Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment